General HTK user mailing list (for help with using HTK)
Before asking a question on a particular topic on the list
- Subscribe to the list, you cannot post unless you do.
- Read the documentation in the HTK Book (at least twice)
and think about it! The HTK Book contains information on how to use
HTK as well as more general information on speech recognition.
However there are also several tutorial books on speech recognition
that should be used as well.
- Read the FAQ.
- Search the mailing list archives
- In the HTK Tutorial and the RM recipe it is often necessary to
read ahead. These are meant to be taken as examples and you should
think about what each step is trying to achieve: HTK is aimed at
people who want to learn about the details of HMMs and perform related
- If it is a question about Unix, or Windows ask your local friends,
colleagues or support staff. Or buy a book.
- Remember that your message will be read by many hundreds of people.
- Don't ask the same question that you have asked recently: if it
hasn't had a reply it doesn't mean that it hasn't been read.
If you do ask a question
- Make sure your mailer is setup properly: always send mail in plain
ASCII text only (not html). If you are not sure how to do this,
please ask your colleagues or support staff. If you send email
containing html markup, it will not be accepted and you will be asked
to repost it.
- If you have a problem with the code give the full output from the
relevant command invoked with (at least) the -A -D and -V options.
Include relevant tracing information (e.g. -T 1) so that problems can
- If you have found a bug, follow href="http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/develop/report_bug.shtml">the bug
- Note that many people on the list try to help but you may not
always get a quick (or indeed any) response. Remember that HTK is
not a commercial product.
Reporting experiences of HTK usage
We encourage users to report their experiences with particular databases
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the Eng-htk-users
(The current archive is only available to the list
To post a message to all the list members, send email to
You can subscribe to the list, or change your existing
subscription, in the sections below.
Subscribing to Eng-htk-users
Subscribe to Eng-htk-users by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. Once
confirmation is received, your request will be held for approval
by the list moderator. You will be notified of the moderator's
decision by email. This is also a hidden list, which means that the
list of members is available only to the list administrator.