Second announcement - Gaia Science Alerts Workshop

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the organizing committee I would like to invite you to
the Gaia Science Alerts Workshop, which will take place at the
Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge, 23-25th June 2010 and is supported
by the ESF GREAT programme.

Please let us know at your earliest opportunity if you would like to
attend the meeting. Please fill out the registration form for the invitees here:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/research/gsawg/index.php/Workshop2010:registrationform

as soon as possible (and by the end of April at the very latest).
Please ignore this email if you already registered.

We would also appreciate if you could print the workshop's poster:
http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~wyrzykow/GAIA/GSAW2010/GaiaWorkshop2010poster.jpg

Below we give more details of the meeting format and programme, as
well as a link to the meeting website.

Best regards,

Lukasz Wyrzykowski
(on behalf of the Workshop Organizing Committee)

Institute of Astronomy
University of Cambridge
Madingley Road
CB3 0HA Cambridge, UK
Tel. +44 1223 337 504
WWW: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~wyrzykow
E-mail: wyrzykow at ast.cam.ac.uk

Gaia Science Alerts Workshop

supported by ESF GREAT network

23-25th June 2010

Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge, UK

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/research/gsawg/index.php/Workshop2010:main

To focus community attention on and involvement in the scientific
possibilities that will arise from the Gaia Science Alerts data
stream

The main aim of the workshop is to focus community attention on and
involvement in the scientific possibilities that will arise from the
Gaia Science Alerts data stream.

Gaia will be launched in 2012 and will repeatedly monitor the whole
sky in the optical during its 5 year mission. The Gaia Science Alerts
team will search for transient phenomena in source photometry as the
data are promptly ingested for processing. The aim will be to detect
large numbers of Supernovae, Microlensing Events, Novae, Gamma-Ray
Burst afterglows, and other interesting transient or anomalous
phenomena. Gaia Alerts will be released to the world-wide community to
enable rapid follow-up of the transients.

The purpose of the workshop is to discuss in detail the expected
nature and potential of the Gaia Science Alerts data stream. Our goals
are:

1. To develop a roadmap for the coordination and preparation of
ground based verification and follow-up observing campaigns.

2. Identification of the most exciting targets of opportunity for the
Gaia Science Alerts stream.

3. Improved understanding of the expected events and contaminants
rates for Gaia alerts.

4. Improved requirements on the development and operation of the Gaia
Alerts stream, including time-scales, sensitivity, acceptable
contamination rates and so on.

We aim to bring together, in an interactive workshop environment,
astronomers working in key relevant areas, including: experts on the
Gaia mission and scientists working on the Science Alerts system;
Astronomers who are actively involved or interested in ongoing or
planned surveys for transient phenomena; Active researchers into
transient phenomena; Scientists who are involved in the distribution
of Alert information; Individuals who are interested in the outreach
possibilities of Gaia Science Alerts.

Gaia Alerts represent a unique opportunity: triggers from transient
phenomena are the first data that the astronomical community will see
from the satellite.

The workshop will span three days, beginning on the morning of
Wednesday June 23rd and finishing in the afternoon of Friday June
25th.

The workshop will be structured around invited 30 minute science
presentations, 15 minute contribution talks, concluding with a
discussion period. We anticipate stimulating significant discussion
and tackling the goals outlined above. We view this meeting as a
kickoff for collaborative work to plan pre-launch and mission-based
activities.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Cambridge in June!