GREAT Workshop on Comparative Modelling of Stellar Spectra

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

GREAT workshop on Comparative Modelling of Stellar Spectra

Vienna, Austria, August 23/24 2010.

The idea behind this workshop is to compare various modelling
approaches for cool stellar atmospheres by fitting the spectrum
of selected cool giants using the corresponding codes.
Groups of modellers around the world will participate in
a comparison of the various model codes by producing
a fit of a small sample (3-4) of given high resolution,
high S/N spectra and by deriving basic parameters like
Teff, log g, [Fe/H], etc from these data. The results shall be
compared and discussed at the workshop in Vienna in order
to identify differences between the codes and their impact
on the derived quantities. The summary of this discussion shall
be published in a paper.

List of invited participants (TBC):
Carlos Abia
Bernhard Aringer
Kjell Eriksson
Bengt Gustafsson
Susanne Höfner
Michael Ireland
Hilding Neilson
Walter Nowotny
Bertrand Plez
Ian Short
Stefan Uttenthaler
Glenn Wahlgren
Markus Wittkowski
Clare Worely

In addition U. Jorgensen und T. Tsuji agreed to
provide model fits for our comparison. Almost ten
individuals/groups have declared their participation in our
model comparison,  so we are very excited about the outcome of this
workshop.

The workshop is organised by Ulrike Heiter
and Thomas Lebzelter and is financially supported by the
ESF network initiative GREAT (Gaia Research for European Astronomy
Training, http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/GREAT/index.html) and by
the Robert F. Wing support fund at Ohio State University.
It is supported by the IAU WG on Abundances in Red Giants.

The total number of participants is limited to 35. We are now
announcing an open call for participation. If you are interested,
please fill out the application form below and send it by
email to GREATgiants.astro at univie.ac.at. Places will be
assigned in the order of the arrival of the applications. Please
allow for approximately one week for the handling of your
application. The call will close officially on June 15 2010.

There is no registration fee for this workshop. A limited
number of travel and accommodation grants are available. Please
indicate in the form, if you would like to apply for
financial support.

It also still possible to participate in our 'experiment'
on comparing various model codes by fitting a small set
of given spectra. If you are interested to participate,
please reply before April 30 2010!

We point out that this workshop will take place
immediately after the conference "Why Galaxies Care About AGB
Stars II. Shining examples and common inhabitants", August 16-20
2010, in Vienna (http://www.univie.ac.at/galagb). So you may be interested
in attending the conference and then append a few more days
in Vienna for the workshop!

In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to
contact us: GREATgiants.astro at univie.ac.at

Looking forward to your reply,
Thomas Lebzelter & Ulrike Heiter

Application form
"GREAT workshop on Comparative Modelling of Stellar Spectra"
August 23/24 2010, Department of Astronomy, University of Vienna,
Austria.

Name:

Email:

Affiliation:

Address:

Do you wish to apply for a travel grant?

Are you interested in participating in the model calculations?

Comments:

Please return to
GREATgiants.astro at univie.ac.at

Doz.Dr. Thomas Lebzelter
Institut f. Astronomie      Department of Astronomy
Universität Wien            University of Vienna
Türkenschanzstr. 17         Tuerkenschanzstrasse 17
1180 Wien                   A1180 Vienna / Austria

Email: thomas.lebzelter at univie.ac.at
Phone: +43 1 4277 51854
Fax: + 43 1 4277 9518
Web: http://www.univie.ac.at/lebzelter