Dr Lukasz Wyrzykowski, on behalf of the Workshop Organizing Committee
Institute of Astronomy
University of Cambridge

Contact: gsaw2010 at ast.cam.ac.uk

image/jpg

WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT

Gaia Science Alerts Workshop

supported by ESF GREAT network

23-25th June 2010

Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge, UK

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/research/gsawg/index.php/Workshop2010:main

To focus community attention on and involvement in the scientific
possibilities that will arise from the Gaia Science Alerts data
stream
HOW TO ATTEND:

The space of the meeting is limited to around 50 participants.
In order to assure a diversity of the partifipants and topics covered during the workshop, we welcome applications from all who would like to contribute to the workshop or who would benefit by their attendance. The organizing committee will consider all applications from possible participants, based on the description of their scientific interests and/or suggested contribution.

The application for the invitation form can be found here:
http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/research/gsawg/index.php/Workshop2010:applicationform

Please fill the form by the end of April. The invitations will be allocated by the 10th of May 2010.

DETAILS:

The main aim of the workshop is to focus community attention on and
involvement in the scientific possibilities that will arise from the
Gaia Science Alerts data stream.

Gaia will be launched in 2012 and will repeatedly monitor the whole
sky in the optical during its 5 year mission. The Gaia Science Alerts
team will search for transient phenomena in source photometry as the
data are promptly ingested for processing. The aim will be to detect
large numbers of Supernovae, Microlensing Events, Novae, Gamma-Ray
Burst afterglows, and other interesting transient or anomalous
phenomena. Gaia Alerts will be released to the world-wide community to
enable rapid follow-up of the transients.

The purpose of the workshop is to discuss in detail the expected
nature and potential of the Gaia Science Alerts data stream. Our goals
are:

1. To develop a roadmap for the coordination and preparation of
ground based verification and follow-up observing campaigns.

2. Identification of the most exciting targets of opportunity for the
Gaia Science Alerts stream.

3. Improved understanding of the expected events and contaminants
rates for Gaia alerts.

4. Improved requirements on the development and operation of the Gaia
Alerts stream, including time-scales, sensitivity, acceptable
contamination rates and so on.

We aim to bring together, in an interactive workshop environment,
astronomers working in key relevant areas, including: experts on the
Gaia mission and scientists working on the Science Alerts system;
Astronomers who are actively involved or interested in ongoing or
planned surveys for transient phenomena; Active researchers into
transient phenomena; Scientists who are involved in the distribution
of Alert information; Individuals who are interested in the outreach
possibilities of Gaia Science Alerts.

Gaia Alerts represent a unique opportunity: triggers from transient
phenomena are the first data that the astronomical community will see
from the satellite.

The workshop will span three days, beginning on the morning of
Wednesday June 23rd and finishing in the afternoon of Friday June
25th.

The workshop will be structured around invited 30 minute science
presentations, 15 minute contribution talks, concluding with a
discussion period. We anticipate stimulating significant discussion
and tackling the goals outlined above. We view this meeting as a
kickoff for collaborative work to plan pre-launch and mission-based
activities.

Workshop Organizing Committee
Contact: gsaw2010 at ast.cam.ac.uk