First announcement: "Gaia Modelling with a Gaia mock catalogue" - 2nd WGA1 workshop -

 GREAT ESF Workshop:
 "Gaia Modelling with a Gaia mock catalogue"
 - 2nd WGA1 workshop -
 Universitat de Barcelona, Spain, 29 February -2 March, 2012
 http://camd08.ast.cam.ac.uk/Greatwiki/WGA1GaiaModel/WS2GaiaMock

 Dear colleagues:

  This is the first announcement of the above workshop supported by GREAT ESF.
 We appreciate if you could pass this announcement to your colleagues
who may be interested in the workshop.

  Rational:

 The Gaia launch day is around the corner. We are excited by the unprecedented
accuracy and amount of the data that Gaia will provide us. Furthermore, the
ground-based chemodynamical spectroscopy survey projects progress strongly and
will add more value to the Gaia data.  To extract the maximum useful information
about our Galaxy's dynamics and formation from the enormous data set, the
generation and elaboration of theoretical models is crucial. A question is: are
we ready?

 Gaia will produce an unprecedentedly large amount of the data for about one
billion stars with many dimensions of information. The accuracy of the
information of each dimension could be fairly inhomogeneous, depending on
distance, population, location in the sky, dust extinction, crowding and so on,
i.e. there will be a complicated observational "selection function". On the
other hand, theoretical models are never like the real Galaxy, and some
simplifications and/or coarse sampling are always applied. To quantitatively
compare such theoretical models with the upcoming Gaia data, we need to be well
prepared and exercises with a Gaia mock catalogue will be crucial for theorists.

The workshop will discuss how we as astronomers would like to access and use
the Gaia catalogue. The discussion will be focused by using a simulated Gaia
catalogue (mock catalogue) for Galaxy modelling. We are inviting 3 types of
participants (some may work for both A and B);

 A. Modellers who want to generate a Gaia mock catalogue from their simulations,
 e.g. N-body simulations, semi-analytic models.

 B. Modellers who want to compare their Galaxy model to the Gaia data, i.e.
 establish tools to statistically analyse (mock) Gaia data, e.g. dynamical
 modelling (torus model, made-to-measure), number-count models.

 C. Experts of the contents and accuracies of the Gaia data, the mock catalogue,
 dust, stellar populations, e.g. DPAC-CU1, CU2, GAP, Besancon Galaxy model.

The aim of this workshop is to stimulate discussion and establish collaboration
among these participants. The expected outcome of this workshop are:

* establishing a close link between Galaxy modelling community to the
DPAC teams.
* addressing the challenge of generating and using the Gaia catalogue.
* providing input and feedback, including the use cases for the Gaia
  (mock) catalogue, from the Gaia modelling community to the DPAC teams.
* setting the tasks for the participants to work on for the next workshop.

SOC:

Teresa Antoja (Groningen), James Binney (Oxford), Anthony Brown (Leiden), Victor
Debattista (UCLan), Francesca Figueras (Barcelona, LOC Chair), Andreea Font
(Cambridge), Amina Helmi (Groningen), Daisuke Kawata (MSSL, UCL), Xavier Luri
(Barcelona, LOC), Ivan Minchev (Potsdam), William O'Mullane (ESAC), Celine Reyle
(Besancon)

Program (subject to change):

 Session 1
 Participants A and B will give a very short talk about how they
 want to  a Gaia Mock Catalogue.

 Session 2
 Invited participants C will tell us about "what we will see", including a Gaia
 mock catalogue, various tools and archives for the Gaia data.

 Session 3
 Free discussion

 Session 4
 Presentations and/or suggestion: what we need to be ready for Gaia.

We also encourage PhD student to attend and they do not have to give a
presentation, but can join free discussion actively.

The number of participants is limited to about 40.

 We will make further announcements, when we confirmed with all the
invited speakers for Session 2.
 All the updated information will be available on the above web site.

 All the best,
  Daisuke Kawata on behalf of SOC.

---
 Daisuke Kawata - MSSL/UCL
 address: Holmbury St. Mary, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6NT, UK
 phone: +44-1483-204904 fax: +44-1483-278312 e-mail: d.kawata at ucl.ac.uk
 www: http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~dka/