Re: [isabelle] Trying to simplify with setsum

Thanks Brian, that did the trick.

-john

On Nov 29, 2005, at 5:27 PM, Brian Huffman wrote:

It turns out there is a version of "setsum_Un" for naturals: try using
"setsum_Un_nat" instead.

- Brian

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 17:07, John Matthews wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to simplify a subgoal that contains an occurrence of
setsum, using the theorem setsum_Un. However, Isabelle refuses to
match the LHS of setsum_Un with the appropriate subterm. Here's a
nonsensical lemma to show what I mean:

   lemma
   "setsum (f::nat => nat) (ran ((a::nat ~=> nat) |` A) \<union> ran

None of the following tactics work:

   apply (subst setsum_Un)
   apply (auto simp only: setsum_Un)
   apply (erule_tac setsum_Un[THEN ssubst])

I think I'm either missing something obvious, or else that the type
'nat' has not been made an instance of the appropriate axclasses.

Thanks,
-john