[isabelle] datatype definition performance

I have what I thought would be a straightforward definition of a
datatype of abstract syntax, a mutually-recursive definition of 5
datatypes, with around 33 constructors in total.

Running it under "Isabelle2005: October 2005" (which seems to be the
default lab install here) on a 3.2GHz P4 takes just under 9 minutes
(painful), whereas using the April 2004 version takes less than 9
seconds.

Any suggestions would be very welcome - I'm a very naive user at this
point, so might well be doing something stupid.

thanks,
Peter