[isabelle] saving state

Hello,

This is a request for suggestions. My translator is coming along nicely,
but maintains a rather extensive state (of name-mappings, etc.)
I'm trying to save the state so that you don't have to re-translate everything
when you start up the system.  I don't know anything about heap saving
in sml. I'm only familiar with checkpointing in general, which probably wouldn't be the right approach here. I know Isabelle stores heap images, so I was wondering
if it would be possible to extend the heap image or something.
Alternatively, I could invent some kind of text format and read/ write. This seems
like a pain though.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean