[isabelle] Problems with Isabelle develop snapshot

Wanting to check out some of the recent changes with Isabelle, I downloaded the development snapshop from today (Isabelle_30_Jun_2006.tar.gz) and built it using SMJ-NJ v 110.59 on a Mac PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.6. I left ProofGeneral and Xemacs alone, particularly seeing as they seem to be the most recent releases anyway. When I try tp start up Isabelle inside ProofGeneral inside Xemacs, either by loading a .thy file in Xemacs, or by running Isabelle, I get the following error message:

File mode specification error: (args-out-of-range "" 0 -1)

and Isabelle fails to load. Does anybody have any idea what the root of my problem is?
---Elsa