[isabelle] E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize 2007: Extended Deadline
E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize: call for submissions
Since 2002, FoLLI (the European Association for Logic, Language, and
Information, www.folli.org) awards the E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize to
outstanding dissertations in the fields of Logic, Language, and
Information. Submissions are invited for 2007. The prize will be awarded
to the best dissertation which resulted in a Ph.D. in the year 2006. The
dissertations will be judged on technical depth and strength,
originality, and impact made in at least two of the three fields of
Logic, Language, and Computation.
Nominations of candidates are admitted who were awarded a Ph.D. degree
in the areas of Logic, Language, or Information between January 1st,
2006 and December 31st, 2006. There is no restriction on the nationality
of the candidate or the university where the Ph.D. was granted. After a
careful consideration, FoLLI has decided to accept only dissertations
written in English. Dissertations produced in 2006 but not written in
English or not translated will be allowed for submission, after
translation, also with the call next year (in 2008).
The prize consists of
* a certificate
* a donation of 2500 euros provided by the E. W. Beth Foundation.
* an invitation to submit the thesis (or a revised version of it) to
the new series of books in Logic, Language and Information to be
published by Springer-Verlag as part of LNCS or LNCS/LNAI. (Further
information on this series is available on the FoLLI site)
How to submit.
Only electronic submissions are accepted. The following documents are
1. the thesis in pdf or ps format (doc/rtf not accepted);
2. a ten page abstract of the dissertation in ascii or pdf format;
3. a letter of nomination from the thesis supervisor.
Self-nominations are not admitted: each nomination must be sponsored by
the thesis supervisor. The letter of nomination should concisely
describe the scope and significance of the dissertation and state when
the degree was officially awarded;
4. two additional letters of support, including at least one letter
from a referee not affiliated with the academic institution that awarded
the Ph.D. degree.
All documents must be submitted electronically to
beth_award at dimi.uniud.it . Hard copy submissions are not admitted.
In case of any problems with the email submission or a lack of
notification within three working days after submission, nominators
should write to policriti at dimi.uniud.it or areces at loria.fr
Deadline for Submissions: May 6th, 2007.
Notification of Decision: July 15th, 2007.
* Anne Abeillé (Université Paris 7)
* Johan van Benthem (University of Amsterdam)
* Didier Caucal (IRISA-CNRS)
* Nissim Francez (The Technion, Haifa)
* Valentin Goranko (University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg)
* Alessandro Lenci (University of Pisa)
* Ewa Orlowska (Institute of Telecommunications, Poland)
* Gerald Penn (University of Toronto)
* Alberto Policriti (chair) (Università di Udine)
* Rob van der Sandt (University of Nijmegen)
* Colin Sterling (University of Edinburgh)
* Wolfgang Thomas (RWTH Aachen)
Carlos Areces phone : +33 (0)3 54 95 84 90
INRIA Researcher fax : +33 (0)3 83 41 30 79
e-mail: carlos.areces at loria.fr
INRIA Lorraine. www : http://www.loria.fr/~areces
Equipe TALARIS - Batiment B
615, rue du Jardin Botanique
54600 Villers les Nancy Cedex, France
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail (Mailman edition) and