[isabelle] Proofs that hang

Greetings

In my current formalisation I have a relation which is created through some quite trivial rules. It's an equivalence relation, it is a congruence, it's idempotent and it has one or two more obscure rules. The problem is that these rules are inherently symmetric -- especially rules regarding associativity and commutativity of one of the operators and I am having a hard time to have Isabelel automatically verify proofs even though they are seemingly quite simple. Doing it by hand works, but it's a bit of a pain.

My question is basically if there is a way to reason about these types of relations automatically in Isabelle where the automatic tactics get stuck on symmetries.

Thank you for your time.

Jesper Bengtson