Re: [isabelle] about the proof of ns_public_bad protocol

The behaviour you describe is merely an instance of how Isabelle uses logic. In particular, if a rewrite rule contains a conditional expression (that is, if-then-else) then Isabelle will automatically perform a case split on the condition during simplification. Sometimes, both cases will be presented to you; at other times, Isabelle may succeed in proving one of the cases and present you with the other one. That is what you are seeing.

It might help if you went through the examples in the tutorial.
Larry Paulson