Re: [isabelle] Isabelle Usage Problem

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Rajesh Karunamurthy wrote:

> I understand that basically I need to update my Linux to the latest
> version. But I have a problem with that, as I am using Isabelle in my
> University machine, I am not sure if I will be able to update it. Is it
> possible to use my existing Linux version and update the required
> libraries that will make Poly/ML work?

As Jeremy has pointed out already, you may try an older version of
Poly/ML, e.g. the "4.1.4" of the Isabelle2005 distribution
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/dist-Isabelle2005/contrib/

Alternatively you may try to compile the current Poly/ML 5.1 yourself on
that old Linux installation.  The configuration will pick up whatever
version of libc++ is available, but it might just fail to build.  See
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=148318 for the
official polyml.5.1.tar.gz and the following README how it is usually
compiled for the Isabelle distribution (without requiring root access).

This distribution of Poly/ML 5.1 has been compiled from the original
sources (available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/polyml/) as
follows:

  tar xvzf polyml.5.1.tar.gz
  cd polyml.5.1
  ./configure --prefix=/tmp/polyml --without-x
  make
  make install

Now /tmp/polyml/bin/* and /tmp/polyml/lib/* are moved to the
platform-specific target directory (e.g. polyml-5.1/x86-linux).  Note
that the script Isabelle/lib/scripts/polyml-platform identifies your
platform.