Re: [isabelle] Term rewriting systems

I am not aware of any support for confluence proofs other than abstract
relation-algebraic theorems.

Have you proved confluence by hand yet? By some standard method, like
absence of critical pairs? If not, do that first, by reducing it to some
standard variety of rewrite system. As you correctly note, list patterns
of the form xs @ [t] @ ys could be a problem. Either you have to do
rewriting modulo associativity of @ or add associativity of @ in both
dirctions as a rewrite rule, which loses termination but may preserve
confluence.

Tobias