Re: [isabelle] I can't understand types in set-membership expressions

Mathematics is most easily formalised using types, with the exception of the sort of thing done in set theory: foundational definitions of functions, relations, ordinal and cardinal numbers, etc. Set theory is therefore rather like assembly language: it is perfect for low level developments but otherwise a poor choice if you want to get anything done.
Larry