Re: [isabelle] subst not acting at all like I expected

The problem is that your expectations are incorrect. If we show the full bracketing, you are starting with the expression

and the result of applying your substitution should be

Isabelle gives you precisely this. You were expecting to see

which requires a further application of your equality.

This sort of thing is not trivial to work out in your head. I had to write it down. That is why we prefer to leave it to computers :-)

Larry Paulson