[isabelle] Interfacing with Isabelle

Hello list!

Is there a standard, accepted, advised, or otherwise endorsed method of interfacing with the Isabelle system? Currently I have a small program which spawns a Isabelle TTY through the isatool, and communicates through the standard handles.

I feel this may not be the best way for automated-interaction (I'm trying to see if I can make a new interface). Is there some other way that is recommended? I also tried just invoking isabelle, at which point I became stymied by the documentation of the underlying ML (is there some disjointedness between the documentation and the current release?).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Scott West

(PS, sorry if this is the third message that is received of this sort, the list wasn't responding to my mails...)