Re: [isabelle] x-symbols and AFS?

Hi,

Lucas Dixon figured this out.

Apparently the x-server runs as a process owned by root(?) but not by
me, so my AFS authorisation doesn't let it read these files.

Makarius' suggestion works:

  xset fp+ tcp/isafonts.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:7200

but obviously is not really satisfactory.

Lucas suggested to make the ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/ directory
readable by system:anyuser

  fs setacl -dir SOME_PATH -acl system:anyuser read

This allows ProofGeneral with x-symbols to apparently work (I don't see
any problem) although, mysteriously, on startup of ProofGeneral I
still get the error message

  Error (x-symbol): Couldn't add
/afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/r/rpollack/work/tools/isabelle2009/ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/
to X font path

in my *Warnings* buffer.

Randy
--
Makarius writes:
 > On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Randy Pollack wrote:
 >
 > > My computer support group just moved my home directory from NFS to AFS
 > > (distributed file system).
 > >
 > > I'm having trouble running isabelle with xsymbols.  (GNU Emacs 22.3.1)
 > >
 > >  isabelle emacs -p emacs mythy.thy
 > >
 > > In the emacs *Warnings* buffer I see
 > >
 > >  Error (x-symbol): Couldn't add /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/r/rpollack/work/tools/isabelle2009/ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/ to X font path
 > >
 > > /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/r/rpollack/work/tools/isabelle2009/ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/
 > > exists, and has expected permissions
 >
 > Strange.  Maybe Emacs just does not like AFS.
 >
 > You can try to use these fonts via the X11 fontserver protocol, e.g. like
 > this in your Isabelle settings file:
 >
 >    XSYMBOL_INSTALLFONTS="xset fp+ tcp/isafonts.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:7200"
 >
 > This refers to a public font service at TUM.
 >

 >  	Makarius

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.