Re: [isabelle] x-symbols and AFS?

Sorry, my last email was wrong.  Because X is stateful I didn't
understand the situation.

 > Lucas suggested to make the ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/ directory
 > readable by system:anyuser

In order to do this, you must make the entire path, from your home
directory down to the pcf directory readable to system:anyuser, which
is not a real solution.

For the moment, I copied the pcf directory to a non-AFS filesystem.

Randy
--
Randy Pollack writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Lucas Dixon figured this out.
 >
 > Apparently the x-server runs as a process owned by root(?) but not by
 > me, so my AFS authorisation doesn't let it read these files.
 >
 > Makarius' suggestion works:
 >
 >   xset fp+ tcp/isafonts.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:7200
 >
 > but obviously is not really satisfactory.
 >
 > Lucas suggested to make the ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/ directory
 > readable by system:anyuser
 >
 >   fs setacl -dir SOME_PATH -acl system:anyuser read
 >
 > This allows ProofGeneral with x-symbols to apparently work (I don't see
 > any problem) although, mysteriously, on startup of ProofGeneral I
 > still get the error message
 >
 >   Error (x-symbol): Couldn't add
 > /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/r/rpollack/work/tools/isabelle2009/ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/
 > to X font path
 >
 > in my *Warnings* buffer.
 >
 > Randy
 > --
 > Makarius writes:
 >  > On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Randy Pollack wrote:
 >  >
 >  > > My computer support group just moved my home directory from NFS to AFS
 >  > > (distributed file system).
 >  > >
 >  > > I'm having trouble running isabelle with xsymbols.  (GNU Emacs 22.3.1)
 >  > >
 >  > >  isabelle emacs -p emacs mythy.thy
 >  > >
 >  > > In the emacs *Warnings* buffer I see
 >  > >
 >  > >  Error (x-symbol): Couldn't add /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/r/rpollack/work/tools/isabelle2009/ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/ to X font path
 >  > >
 >  > > /afs/inf.ed.ac.uk/user/r/rpollack/work/tools/isabelle2009/ProofGeneral/x-symbol/etc/pcf/
 >  > > exists, and has expected permissions
 >  >
 >  > Strange.  Maybe Emacs just does not like AFS.
 >  >
 >  > You can try to use these fonts via the X11 fontserver protocol, e.g. like
 >  > this in your Isabelle settings file:
 >  >
 >  >    XSYMBOL_INSTALLFONTS="xset fp+ tcp/isafonts.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:7200"
 >  >
 >  > This refers to a public font service at TUM.
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >  	Makarius
 >  >
 >  >

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.