Re: [isabelle] Does anyone know how to get rid of => marker in PG4.0?

Makarius wrote:
So how does it work on Ubuntu, then? In recent updates of both Ubuntu and Java I've experienced some degradation of anti-aliasing. Maybe your alternative setup can improve upon that.

This might be slightly off-topic for the list, but I'm posting it here in case someone finds it useful.

Well, my way of doing things won't necessarily help make your antialiasing better, as I just turn it off. However, this level of font-tweaking allows much finer control than anything available through the GUI so you may find something to your liking.

Basically, I started with this guide and changed my system fonts to be the microsoft ones:

In /etc/fonts you can create a file local.conf where you can place whatever settings you wish such that they won't get killed by ubuntu upgrades etc. Changing the contents of this file and files it includes gives immediate feedback within the system (I'm on 9.10), including in character map, but NOT emacs. I think emacs needs a restart for these to show up.

Mine just basically includes other things (first three files are from the ubuntu forums link)
<include ignore_missing="yes">local-misc.conf</include>
<include ignore_missing="yes">local-aliases.conf</include>
<include ignore_missing="yes">local-msfonts-rules.conf</include>
<include ignore_missing="yes">local-raf.conf</include>

In local-misc, I changed my default treatment of fonts to:
 <match target="font" >
    <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
        <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
    <edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
        <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
    <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
        <const>hintslight</const>
    </edit>
 </match>

Which means turn off antialiasing, then enable the autohinter at a weak setting by default.

So for fonts that come with their own hinting and aren't part of msfonts, in local-raf.conf I define:
<!-- Fonts with their own hinting -->
<match target="font">
    <test name="family">
        <string>Lucida Console</string>
        <string>BitStream Vera Serif</string>
        <string>Cambria</string>
        <string>Cambria Math</string>
    </test>
    <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
        <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
    <edit name="autohint">
        <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
</match>

For fonts that don't come with good hinting but the autohinter can deal with: <!-- I want to keep these aliased, but they look tragic without some hinting -->
<match target="font">
    <test name="family">
        <string>Code2000</string>
        <string>STIXGeneral</string>
        <string>DejaVu Sans</string>
        <string>DejaVu Sans Mono</string>
    </test>
    <edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
        <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
    <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
        <const>hintfull</const>
    </edit>
</match>

And finally there are fonts where there is nothing you can do, they simply were designed to be antialiased and subpixel smoothed:
<match target="font">
    <test name="family">
        <string>Consolas</string>
    </test>
    <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
        <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
    <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
        <const>rgb</const>
    </edit>
</match>

You can do other pretty tricks like antialiasing fonts once they go beyond a certain size, but the above is sufficient to outline the basic idea. I'm attaching my local config from /etc/fonts for those who want to play around with it.

Sincerely,

Rafal Kolanski.