Re: [isabelle] Error: Pending sort hypothesis

Hi Thomas,

My hope was that ATP would find a proof based on the lemma
"finite_imp_nat_seg_image_inj_on" that is, in some sense, the inverse of
my lemma.

In the meantime, I proved the lemma directly with induction over the
finite set (no idea whether this is more elegant ;) ):

  -- "Finite sets have an injective mapping to an initial segments of the
      natural numbers"
lemma finite_imp_inj_to_nat_seg:
  fixes A :: "'a set"
  assumes A: "finite A"
  obtains f::"'a \<Rightarrow> nat" and n::"nat" where
    "f`A = {i. i<n}"
    "inj_on f A"

proof -
  from A have "\<exists>f (n::nat). f`A = {i. i<n} \<and> inj_on f A"
  proof (induct)
    case empty thus ?case by auto
  next
    case (insert x A)
    then obtain f and n::nat where
      IH: "f`A = {i. i<n}" "inj_on f A" by auto
    let ?fs = "f(x:=n)"
    from IH insert(2) have
      "?fs`(insert x A) = {i. i<Suc n}"
      "inj_on ?fs (insert x A)"
      apply -
      apply force
      apply simp
      apply (rule inj_onI)
      apply (auto dest: inj_onD split: split_if_asm)
      done
    thus ?case by blast
  qed
  with that show ?thesis by blast