Re: [isabelle] Formalizing Turing machine

Hi Alex,

The point of not relying on ZFC is because it's a strong theory. I
don't want the definition of Turing machine to be based on a strong
theory. I want it to be based on a theory that is as weak as possible.
So it's best if it's based on nothing.

Unfortunately HOL is at least as strong as ZFC because it has the idea
of a set. My teacher Jain suggests that it might be possible to define
Turing machine based on Peano Arithmetic, which is weaker than ZFC.
And I'm going to try that.

I don't understand the AFP formalization of automata as I read it.
Does the author use the idea of sets, functions or numbers? If yes, he
probably base the definition of automata on HOL or ZFC. But I want to
base it on a weaker theory. Does the author do that?

Your suggestion of automata is certainly good as it has the same
problem as Turing machines, but it's simpler.

Regards,
Zirui