[isabelle] What may Isabelle be doing behind my back?



I am using Isabelle2009-1 with emacs22-gtk, admittedly in a very poor environment:

Ubuntu 8.10
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66 Ghz
Memory: 493.2 MiB

Free disk space: 69 MiB
(I only use Ubuntu on a small disk partition)

The problem is that occasionally Isabelle takes a very long time while performing operations such as moving to a new theory or theorem or digesting a new definition, and I don't know what she is *really* doing then. (By a long time, I mean minutes, and sometimes tens of minutes.)
This tends to occur more often when I am trying to process whole buffers, when Isabelle takes 10-15-minute breaks from time to time.  
I also noticed that when I set AutoQuickCheck, AutoSolve and ParallelProofs off, such problems occur less often, but still do.  
Also, the problem seems to increase with the size of the graph of theories on which the current theory depends on, but has a large degree of randomness.  I did not have these problems with the previous release.  

A related problem is that trying to run a (large-enough) session takes forever.  

I shall eventually get a better computer system, but until then I would really like to survive with what I have here.  (Notice also that my disk status does not really allow me to install new things.)  Help!  

Best regards, 
   Andrei 





      






This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail (Mailman edition) and MHonArc.