Re: [isabelle] Journal of Automated Reasoning

I'd like to point out that at least part of Springer's recent open-access enlightenment is a response to the increasing number of *real* open access journals. I have recently been involved in the startup of one of them, the Journal of Logic and Analysis:

 http://logicandanalysis.org/

We used the Public Knowledge Project's Open Journal Software:

 http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs

Publishers like Springer still make a lot of money bundling their offerings together and selling them to university libraries, which have no choice but to pay the high prices. Going the real open access route means having no revenue stream to support things like proofreading and typesetting, but in the long run I think it is better for the academic community, which currently does almost all the work and then makes the libraries pay for it.

This is not to speak against the JAR, which is quite a good journal. But if you don't submit there, I recommend considering an open access alternative. Logical Methods in Computer Science is another good one:

 http://www.lmcs-online.org

I apologize that this has taken us far afield of Isabelle, but I wanted to respond to Larry's message.

Jeremy

Lawrence Paulson wrote:
A journal cannot have a high impact unless it promotes the widest possible dissemination of the results. Most publishers that I am familiar with, including Springer, allow authors to publish their material on their own webpages. If you look at my webpage (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~lp15/papers/refereed.html), you will see that practically everything that I've published is freely downloadable, and no publisher has objected to this. Recently they have recognised this de facto situation in their copyright agreements, which typically allow what they call self archiving provided a link is included to the official version.
Springer also gives authors a PDF of the version typeset by their editorial staff (and their input is significant, as I have seen in my role as editor of the ITP proceedings). Springer also agreed to our making the Isabelle manual freely downloadable at the same time as they published the book version, and they agreed to our making the proceedings (prior to their editing) of all the FLoC conferences freely available on memory sticks, even though this directly competed with their own rather expensive proceedings-on-memory-stick product. Finally, on payment of a fee you can opt into the “author pays” model (nothing I would consider) and retain complete control over even the final typeset version. You will find more information here:

http://www.springer.com/open+access?SGWID=0-169302-0-0-0

Larry Paulson