Re: [isabelle] Journal of Automated Reasoning

No doubt some of the money, in the case of commercial publishers, goes to shareholders. But even nonprofit academic societies find journal publication an expensive business. For example, although authors typeset manuscripts themselves using latex, they often have rather idiosyncratic ideas of what can pass for acceptable typography in a journal, not to mention their indifferent grasp of grammar and punctuation. Your typical referee is neither willing nor competent to identify such problems. So the journal has to pay somebody to make accepted manuscripts presentable, a skilled editor who possesses some competence in latex. And then the journal feels entirely justified in claiming copyright in the expensive product of their effort. That is why they allow authors to put their own version of the paper on their personal webpage, but not the journal's final version.

Larry Paulson