Re: [isabelle] Can I define direct sum of sets in R^n and R^m

grechukbogdan schrieb:
> Dear Isabelle Users
>
> If A and B are sets, direct sum C of A and B is a set of pairs (a, b)  where a \in A and b \in B.
> My first question – is this direct sum defined somewhere in Isabelle?

Yes. It is written "A <*> B". See Product_Type.thy. (Search for "<*>")

> Now, in my case A is a subset of R^n and B is a subset of R^m. In this case, clearly, C is a subset of R^{n+m}.

I'm afraid not the way that these types are defined in HOL. C is only
isomorphic to R^(n+m). You can spell out the type isomorphism explicitly
or define a special product construction on finite Cartesian products.
In either case I leave it to the experts to show you how to do it.

Tobias