[isabelle] How to speed up locales

Hi all,

I have a large system of locales with many sublocale declarations. My problem now is that opening some of the locales via "context ... begin" takes one minute or even longer (on a 2.33GHz processor with 4GB of memory). So I wonder how to adjust my theories such that this becomes faster.

Are there any rules of thumb how to organise a locale hierarchy to make it performant?
What are the do's and don'ts for efficient locales?

Thanks for any hints and ideas,
Andreas