Re: [isabelle] Packaging for distros? (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora?)

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 24.11.2010, 13:56 -0500 schrieb Edward Z. Yang:
> Hello all,
>
> I was hoping to install Isabelle on my machine but winced when I saw the
> following instructions:
>
>     tar -C /usr/local -xzf Isabelle2009-2_bundle_x86-linux.tar.gz
>
> And I was wondering if Isabelle had been packaged up for any of the major
> distros with the collaboration of the Isabelle authors (since "Pre-packaged
> versions of Isabelle, Poly/ML, and Proof General floating through the Net as
> deb, rpm, port etc. are often outdated and rarely work as advertised.")
> Packaged software confers a number of notable benefits (uninstallability,
> ease of installation, upgrade facilities).

there has been an attempt to integrate Isabelle into Debian:
http://bugs.debian.org/494491
and at the bottom¹, an explanation why this has failed is given:

„to make a long story short: the Isabelle developers strongly prefer to
have only one official Isabelle distribution and, thus, do not
encourage Isabelle distribution by others. Moreover, they prefer to
provide the whole "Isabelle suite" (i.e., Isabelle and all surrounding
tools (Poly/ML, Proof General, Scala, e, spass, jedit, etc) as one
integrated bundle.  Of course, this "bundling requirement" makes is
hard (if not impossible) to integrate properly into Debian.“

If this is wrong or has been changed, I would could imagine to try to
package Isabelle myself, but not without the good will of the Isabelle
developers.

Greetings,
Joachim

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=494491#44