Re: [isabelle] Packaging for distros? (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora?)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Joachim Breitner wrote:

„to make a long story short: the Isabelle developers strongly prefer to have only one official Isabelle distribution and, thus, do not encourage Isabelle distribution by others. Moreover, they prefer to provide the whole "Isabelle suite" (i.e., Isabelle and all surrounding tools (Poly/ML, Proof General, Scala, e, spass, jedit, etc) as one integrated bundle. Of course, this "bundling requirement" makes is hard (if not impossible) to integrate properly into Debian.“

If this is wrong or has been changed, I would could imagine to try to package Isabelle myself, but not without the good will of the Isabelle developers.

It is still right and has changed only slightly in the sense that the trend towards fully integrated bundling will become even stronger. With our more recent move towards full dependency on JVM 1.6, for example, it has become practically impossible to rely on existing Java packaging.

Just take plain jEdit (without Isabelle): the Ubuntu/Debian package uses OpenJDK on that platform and then fails to deliver an application that actually works, because jEdit requires JDK/JRE from Sun/Oracle.

This is why I always download jEdit from www.jedit.org directly and use it with Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp, although I know that this is heretical.