Re: [isabelle] Packaging for distros? (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora?)

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 28.11.2010, 14:08 +0000 schrieb Ian Lynagh:
> > So what is the point of it?
>
> * It's a lot easier to "apt-get install isabelle" than it is to find
>   where to download it, download it, work out how to install it (even if
>   that does turn out to be "just untar it"), add it to my path, etc

may I amend this point with something relevant especially to Isabelle:
Isabelle is an research tool and consequently will appear in university
courses (this is where I learned about it). For that it has to be
installed on computer pool computers, and the admins of these pools will
be very happy to just add the name of a package to a configuration file
than having to write scripts that download tarballs, extracts them etc.

The current installation effort is small if you plan to be a heavy user
of Isabelle that will spend hours and hours proving stuff. But it is
high if you are an admin who has to maintain lots of machines and
packages, or just a curious user who would like to have a quick look on
the software.

Greetings,
Joachim

--