Re: [isabelle] Packaging for distros? (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Joachim Breitner wrote:

* It's a lot easier to "apt-get install isabelle" than it is to find
  where to download it, download it, work out how to install it (even if
  that does turn out to be "just untar it"), add it to my path, etc

may I amend this point with something relevant especially to Isabelle:
Isabelle is an research tool and consequently will appear in university
courses (this is where I learned about it). For that it has to be
installed on computer pool computers, and the admins of these pools will
be very happy to just add the name of a package to a configuration file
than having to write scripts that download tarballs, extracts them etc.

In fact, our tar.gz bundles are exactly made for this situation, where you have the typical mixture of several different architectures and operating system versions sharing one file space. The platform identifiers within the Isabelle directory structure make this very convenient.

Here the distribution-specific packaging would get in the way, unless you assume a Debian only universe.