Re: [isabelle] FuncSet without extensional? (Joachim Breitner)

Dear Andrei,

Am Sonntag, den 19.09.2010, 20:20 -0700 schrieb Andrei Popescu:
> >> BTW, are there already theories about uncountable sets? I?d need, as a
> >> lemma, the fact that the M* (the set of finite words) of a uncountably
> >> infinte set M has the same cardinality.
>
> Actually, quite a bit of the ZF theory of cardinals can be done in HOL.
> I have already set the basis of such a theory: it is in the Isabelle AFP, and is
>
> fairly well documented.
>
> http://afp.sourceforge.net/entries/Ordinals_and_Cardinals.shtml
>
> Your lemma is stated there in the theory Cardinal_order_relation, in subsection
> "Cardinals versus lists", as
>

> List_infinite_bij_betw
>
> (NB: it holds for any infinite set, including the countably infinite ones.)

Thanks for the pointer. This is what I need... I need to get better at
finding existing theories :-)

You define
definition List :: "'a set => 'a list set"
where "List A ≡ {l. set l ≤ A}"

This is a definition that I could use in the development of Free Groups.
Assuming I would not need the cardinality lemmas, what is the best
practice: Importing your theory nevertheless, copying the definition or
pushing to add this definition in a more standard, common place, i.e.
HOL or HOL/Library?

Greetings,
Joachim

--