Re: [isabelle] Subtyping

(sorry for multiple copies)
Hi there,

I would refrain from going into the "implementation" level of the sum type (Abs_sum, Inl_rep) and just use pattern matching.

The type A + B represents a type that incorporates values of type A /and/ values of type B. Since we are in a strongly typed setting we need a new type for this, which is essentially an algebraic datatype definable by (also the internal construction is different, I think)

datatype 'a + 'b = Inl 'a | Inr 'b

here the Inl and Inr are the left and right injections. To extract values you can just use pattern matching.

fun is_Inl where
  is_Inl (Inl _) = True"
| is_Inl (Inr _) = False"

Hope this helps.