Re: [isabelle] duplicate Emacs.app on MacOSX

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Perry Wagle wrote:

Isabelle 2011 for MacOSX comes with its own version of Emacs.app for proof general.

This means that its distinct from the Emacs.app I have already installed even though the two are identical. What's the thinking?

The general idea is to sacrifice some disk space to approximate a fully integrated application that runs out of the box as far as possible. Unfortunately there are occasional conflicts with how Mac OS X thinks about this. For example, after running Isabelle.app it is hard to start an independent copy of the Emacs.app that happens to be used here.

Can I combine Isabelle 2011's version with my already installed version using some sort of "emacsclient -c" interface so that I have only one instance of the app running?

The main plumbing is done in Isabelle2011.app/Contents/Resources/script which can in principle be customized by ambitious users, but there are many well-known problems awaiting.

In particular, the version of Emacs and Proof General need to fit together -- before each official Isabelle release 1-2 weeks are set aside for a desparate search of a combination that works most of the time.

Using actual "emacsclient" is even more tricky, but not impossible. Ultimately you need to ensure that the careful environment setup of Isabelle2011.app/Contents/Resources/script and the general Isabelle environment is somehow observed by the already running Emacs process. This might require some Emacs lisp for Proof General initialization.