Re: [isabelle] Question about finite sets

You cannot define such a function with any of the recursive function
definition facilities because it would have to terminate for all sets,
not just the finite ones. Which it doesn't. The standard solution is
outlined in the TPHOLs 2005 paper by Larry and me. You find the
necessary combinators (fold and fold_image) in theory Finite_Set.

Thank you for your non-lexical email.
Tobias