Re: [isabelle] Build Isabelle from stock dependencies (Fedora 14)

Matej Urbas wrote:
I made some notes about 'building Isabelle on Fedora from stock
dependencies' and I thought it wouldn't hurt to share (see attachments).

Ignore this if there is a better guide around (or if there is a better
way of doing it in general).

Some warnings are appropriate here.

hg clone http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle Isabelle

This gives you an arbitrary development version, which is basically unsupported and may be broken. For anybody but developers, this is a very bad idea.

Edit 'Isabelle/etc/settings' to include this:

This file isn't supposed to be edited (and the comment on top of it says so quite clearly). If you need special settings, put them into ~/.isabelle/etc/settings.

cvs -d :pserver:anon at cvs.inf.ed.ac.uk:/disk/cvs/proofgen login && cvs -d :pserver:anon at cvs.inf.ed.ac.uk:/disk/cvs/proofgen checkout ProofGeneral

Same here. You get an unknown development version, which hasn't been tested to work properly with Isabelle.

export PROOFGENERAL_HOME="$(pwd)"

the idea of settings like PROOFGENERAL_HOME is that you put them into .isabelle/etc/settings, instead of a generic environment.

sed --in-place=".backup.$(date '+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S')" "s|\[ -z \"\$PROOFGENERAL_HOME\" \].*|PROOFGENERAL_HOME=\"$PROOFGENERAL_HOME\"|" lib/Tools/emacs

Not sure what this is for, but the scripts in lib/ are certainly not for editing. Even if it happens to work, you get a big mess if you have to update your Isabelle at some point.

In summary, I cannot really recommend following this guide.

Alex