Re: [isabelle] Dedicated proof box

Hi Palle,

in our experience, it is better to go for more powerful processors instead of more cores. Also go for lots of memory (24G rather than 16G, 32 if you can get it cheap).

A fast disk for image writing and reading (additional SSD maybe, if that is an option) can make a few minutes difference for large sessions, depending on how much use of images you make.

It depends on the Isabelle version, but 3-4 concurrent threads seems to be the optimum point at the moment.

Hyperthreading as such is not a problem, you can easily tell Isabelle the maximum number of threads it should use and we haven't seen any significant overhead associated with that. Also, I vaguely recall that hyperthreading seems to have similar performance to separate cores, but I could be wrong there.

Cheers,
Gerwin