Re: [isabelle] Untyped formalized systems are wrong (blog post)

On 08.07.2011, at 22:38, Victor Porton wrote:

> 09.07.2011, 00:09, "Steven Obua" <steven.obua at googlemail.com>:
>> On 08.07.2011, at 21:43, Victor Porton wrote:
>>
>>>  08.07.2011, 23:05, "Steven Obua" <steven.obua at googlemail.com>;:

>>>  In the very example I provided in the blog, the lattices are essentially types WITH ARGUMENTS (or are they called "parameters"?). This can't be modeled by introducing abbreviations for those two operations. It is the reason I want a typed system and resign from ZF.
>>
>> In your blog you complain that you have to annotate the operations with lengthy descriptions. Well, this is because they are different operations with possibly different carrier sets, right? How would you write your example in HOL ? My guess is you can't.
>
> I'm not an expert in Isabelle/HOL but it seems for me that it can be written using types with parameters (my sets A and B would be parameters of a type "funcoid").
>
> --
> Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

That wouldn't work, because in order for A and B to be parameters, they would have to be modeled as types, too. Now, two types in HOL are either identical (A = B), or they are disjoint. That's probably not what you would for your construction. It's probably best you try to formalize a small part of your theory in Isabelle/HOL. Then you will pretty soon notice what works and what doesn't.

- Steven