Re: [isabelle] matrix constructions

Take a look at src/HOL/Matrix/Matrix.thy in the Isabelle repository.

It defines the type matrix based on "nat => nat => 'a" which are only
non-zero on finitely many positions. It forms a semiring, ring,
ordered_ring when 'a is respectively a semiring, ring, ordered_ring.

There are alternatives like using a type to encode the dimensionality
like the finite cartesian products in Multivariate_Analysis.

 - Johannes