Re: [isabelle] Pairs/tuples

Hi,

there are only pairs in Isabelle and the pair constructor * is
right-associative. Hence when you write

  nat * nat * nat

it really is

  nat * (nat * nat)

and a corresponding value would be (1, (2, 3)) (again you can save
parentheses by writing (1, 2, 3) instead). Thus getting the third
element is done by nested calls to snd, e.g.,

lemma "snd (snd (1, (2, 3))) = 3" by simp

You see that I do not need a sledgehammer to prove the fact ;). Mere
rewriting is enough. The same is true for your initial lemma

lemma "snd (snd ([(1, 2, 3)] ! 0)) = 3" by simp

hope this helps

chris