Re: [isabelle] type_synonym

I figured it out myself: because in an application to some type T, "T t = T ::
field", but the rhs is only legal if T is a type variable, not a compound type.
Hence my type synonym would only make sense if we allowed types of the form "T
:: C" (just like we allow terms of the form "e :: T"). I had not thought this
through, but by analogy with the term level, I guess "T::C" should be rejected
if T is not of class C.

Although I had not originally thought of this generalization, I must say that I
have occasionally wished I could write "T :: C" to check if some type is in some
class. But maybe there is alternative way to check this?

Tobias