Re: [isabelle] [isabelle-dev] Some missing setup for function package in combination with Option-type

On 02/17/2012 10:34 PM, Christian Urban wrote:

On Friday, February 17, 2012 at 22:06:31 (+0900), Christian Sternagel wrote:
  >  Dear all,
  >
  >  related to Lukas comment (that also small contributions are appropriate
  >  for the AFP) I have some thoughts:
  >
  >  (At least for me) the AFP has a somewhat formal flavor (like a
  >  publication). Furthermore, every entry is associated to fixed authors
  >  (is it possible to extend the author list later on?).

I very much agree with that. AFP-entries have
the character of a publication (they are refereed
to some degree) and are attached to an author or authors.

While it is technically possible to amend the authorship
of an AFP-entry, it is a psychological hassle.I had an
instance of this last year where I had to make amendments
to an AFP-entry by Alexander and Tobias. What made this even
more complicated is that they also published their entry in JAR.
So I was in the quandary whether to make changes to their
development or not, having in the back in my mind that they
might have a complete different opinion how things should be
done than me (and my co-authors). In the end, my changes were
minimal, but still it was a huge hassle.

AFP-entries should stay publication-like things. They
should not be a place where things are under rapid development.
Seconded. Maybe I did not state it that way above, but actually I also want the AFP to stay publication-like (and I viewed it like that until now; if nothing else, to value the effort that is put into such entries).

Maybe there could be a different AFP "branch" that is purely library oriented.

Concerning Tobias original mail (on small AFP entries): Strange how one can forget mailing list discussions that were actually read with great interest ;). What is the current state w.r.t. the discussion that followed in 2010? IIRC, the points were roughly
- module name spaces
- visibility of syntax
- installing entries (+ dependencies; something like cabal for Haskell)

Is there any way in which non-developers (like me) could contribute to anything of the above?

cheers

christian