Re: [isabelle] [isabelle-dev] Some missing setup for function package in combination with Option-type

On 18/02/2012, at 1:07 AM, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> On 02/17/2012 10:34 PM, Christian Urban wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, February 17, 2012 at 22:06:31 (+0900), Christian Sternagel wrote:
[ .. AFP should stay publication-like .. ]

To confirm previous discussions: Small entries in the AFP are perfectly fine. Libraries are wanted as well.

I think we do want to stay with a publication-like model.

That model seems to be working well for finished pieces of work, not so well for libraries. Of course, libraries are harder to create in the first place, so it's not surprising that there are fewer.

I don't see that a good reason for the AFP becoming a development platform with rapid development inside its repository. Similarly to hackage, cpan, ctan, and others, it should stay a release and collection place. Active development should happen elsewhere (own sourceforge project, bitbucket, etc). Regular releases from there could then go into the AFP.

> Maybe there could be a different AFP "branch" that is purely library oriented.

I don't think a separate branch makes sense, but we could tag certain entries as libraries if that helps the psychology aspect. If they are actively developed, they can get a link to their home page/project page. That would also solve the problem of who to contact if you have something to contribute/request/etc. Technically we already support evolving versions of entries, and if things like author lists change, that can be marked in the change history.

> Concerning Tobias original mail (on small AFP entries): Strange how one can forget mailing list discussions that were actually read with great interest ;). What is the current state w.r.t. the discussion that followed in 2010? IIRC, the points were roughly
> - module name spaces

Centerum censeo that we need them more every year ;-)

> - visibility of syntax

should be treated under the above

> - installing entries (+ dependencies; something like cabal for Haskell)

I had a student project written out for this for a while, but no takers so far.

> Is there any way in which non-developers (like me) could contribute to anything of the above?

If your interested in the last point, we could discuss that.

Cheers,
Gerwin