Re: [isabelle] Free variables vs schematic variables

Could I summarise the difference between free and schematic variables like
this:

Free variables came from the statement you want to prove, whereas schematic
variables came from other facts that are already known to be true.

(Thus, free variables must be fixed during a proof, they cannot be
instantiated. Because they were never instantiated, they can become
arbitrary after the proof is completed. Schematic variables can be
instantiated at any time, because they came from some proof in which they
were originally treated as fixed.)