Re: [isabelle] The 'The' function

The following theorems (which you can find in .../src/HOL/HOL.thy) should cover all your needs.

the_equality
theI
theI2
the1I2

Your first conjecture isn't true, because The is a definite description operator: the specified entity must be unique. If you want the Hilbert indefinite description operator, along with the axiom of choice, then you need Eps.

Your second conjecture is simply a syntactic identity.

Larry Paulson