Re: [isabelle] Fresh Install

On 3/6/2012 12:34 AM, Jenxs Doll wrote:t
Hello Makarius,

thank you for the inquiry, but it ain't that easy. From a Win XP machine there are several ways to migrate (with a 64bit OS as target)

a) Win XP/32bit --> Win 7/32bit
b) Win XP/32bit --> Win 7/64bit
c) Win XP/32bit --> Win 7/32bit --> Win 7/64bit
d) Win XP/32bit --> Win XP/64bit --> Win 7/64bit

One problem lies in the availability of familiar packages on Win 7/64 bit. I did a) on one machine and now the LyX document processor, based on MikTex, does not work any longer. MikTex simply does not install on 64bit Windows. MinGW does install. And also CygWin works on Win 7 and thus Isabelle!

Regards,
Jens

I'm using MiKTeX portable on Windows 7 64-bit, and it works: http://miktex.org/portable/about

I'm also using LyX on Windows 7 64-bit. I have LyX set up to run portable off of a hard drive, using the portable MiKTex. I just compiled a document with LyX on a Windows 7 32-bit machine.

If you're doing an upgrade from WinXP to Windows 7, rather than starting with a fresh Windows 7 install, LyX and MiKTeX could have configuration files set up to look for files in the old XP locations rather than the Windows 7 locations. The user document folder and application file folders are different for Windows 7. For example, the user folder on Windows 7 is c:\Users\your_user_name\Documents. On Windows 7 32-bit, in addition to "C:\Program Files", there's also a "C:\Program Files (x86)".

You might already know all that. It's been a while, but when I switched to Windows 7 and tried to use my old LyX folder with it, it seems LyX had hard coded the WinXP file locations in its config files.

--JF