Re: [isabelle] Linear Ordering for nat list

One simplistic approach to modelling those arrays would be to represent an
array as a triple (or, better, a record) of a size (of type nat) a
dimension (of type nat) and a function (of type nat list => 'a option).
Then define a predicate isArray :: 'a array_record => bool, which is
something along the lines of
isArray a = forall ls. (length ls = a.dimension) and (forall x. member x ls
==> x < a.size) <=> not (a.f ls = NONE)
which says that the function is equal to some value exactly when the index
list is valid.
(sorry I don't know the exact Isabelle syntax for that statement above - I
usually use a different theorem prover. hopefully my pseudocode is clear.)

You could then either carry that isArray predicate as a precondition on
most everything you prove (you could use locales to make that easier, i.e.
you wouldn't have to keep typing it out), or you could use isArray to
actually define a new array type, where all of those arrays would be valid,
but that may make it harder to reason about them, depending on what kind of
reasoning you need to do.