On Wed, 9 May 2012, Jasmin Blanchette wrote:

Am 07.05.2012 um 23:00 schrieb Makarius:

official Isabelle2012 will be rolled-out before the end of the month. Release candidate #2 is now available here:

 http://isabelle.in.tum.de/website-Isabelle2012-RC2

The main difference to RC1 is the slightly improved Windows setup, to initialize Cygwin more thoroughly and report startup problems of the Isabelle session more explicitly.

On my Windows XP / VirtualBox swetup, the Isabelle splash screen appears, then a pause, then the following message:

Error during execution "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\blanchette\Desktop\Isabelle2012-RC2\contrib\cygwin-1.7.9\init.bat". Das System kann di angegebene Datei nicht finden.

The problem goes away if I install Isabelle to a path with no spaces in it.

OK, you got me with this common mistake. I've put more spaces into the Windows installer config file, rebuilt Isabelle2012-RC2.exe, and updated the website accordingly.

However, note that at this point the usual warning about spaces in paths hasn't been presented to the user yet.

The situation is that spaces should always work, unless any "make" job is started, e.g. via "build", "isabelle make", "isabelle makeall". Most users can get quite far without that, and make is going to disappear in some future release.

What still does not work in many situations are non-ASCII characters in the directory name, say "Documents" in Chinese, or even just European special characters. Windows shortcut Icons seem to have their rules for that. The JVM poses further problems: How can I specify a CLASSPATH with Unicode characters in it?