Re: [isabelle] Isabelle on OpenBSD?

On May 15 at 21:40 +0200, Makarius wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012, Timothy Bourke wrote:
>
> >Otherwise, there are FreeBSD ports of Poly/ML and Isabelle (2009.2):
> >   http://www.freshports.org/lang/polyml
> >   http://www.freshports.org/math/isabelle
> >
> >The patches therein may be helpful in building Isabelle on OpenBSD; or
> >the current maintainer may already know how to solve some BSD issues.
> >
> >The trickiest step is usually to get Poly/ML working.
>
> Here is the famous quote from the Isabelle download and installation page:
>
>   Warning: Pre-packaged versions of Isabelle, Poly/ML, and Proof General
>   floating through the Net as deb, rpm, port etc. are usually incomplete
>   and outdated!
>
> With the following empiric proof for this general statement against
> homegrown packages:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/polyml/Makefile?rev=1.14;content-type=text%2Fplain

Agreed! Personally, I saw the light many months ago, switched to
Linux, and now download my packages directly from the Isabelle site
like a good proof assistant assistant ;-)

In fact, your earlier sage advice about packaging was instrumental in
my conversion.

But for those yet to reach this point, source ports, despite their
shortcomings, at least provide a starting point for getting things
working.

In my opinion, a reasonable compromise may be to port Poly/ML and to
download the Isabelle source directly.

Tim.