Re: [isabelle] "isabelle make" in windows-RC2

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Makarius wrote:

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Michael Norrish wrote:

The problem here is make, because it is inherently incapable of working with spaces in file names.

This is inherently not true. Make has many infelicities but this is not one of them. On Windows, you may also need to use the "call" command in order to get your command-lines to work.

I did not know these tricks. Last time when we made an effort to improve the situation was in 2004, and it was not possible to escape. But it also means that it becomes again dependent on precise make versions -- there are too many of them.

Anyway, I will make an effort to get rid of the static makefiles for the next Isabelle release, or the one after it ...

Google reveals some further slightly odd tricks for GNU Make:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/ask-mr-make/7859-gnu-make-meets-file-names-with-spaces-in-them

Other mutants like BSD make appears to support quotes more directly:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/makefile.html#quoting-guideline

This is again just some more motivation to get rid of make really soon
now.